Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sex, a quarrel, then death

SHAH ALAM: A couple went to a temple in Sepang to pray.

After fulfilling their religious obligations, they had sex outside the compound and then fell asleep.

When they woke up several hours later, they got into a heated argument which turned deadly when the man went back into the temple, grabbed a parang and hacked the woman to death.

The High Court here yesterday heard how general worker S. Ganesan, 24, then hid P. Suganthy's body in some bushes behind the temple.

Ganesan then threw away the parang and fled.
Suganthy's body was later found by a passer-by.

The facts of the case were read out yesterday before judicial commissioner Abang Iskandar Abang Hashim. He sentenced Ganesan to 14 years' jail after he pleaded guilty to culpable homicide.

Ganesan admitted committing the offence at a temple in Kampung Lembah Paya Salak in Sepang between noon and 6.15pm on Aug 11, 2005.

He was initially charged with murder and had claimed trial after which nine prosecution witnesses had testified.

Ganesan subsequently changed his plea when the prosecution reduced the charge to manslaughter.

In sentencing him, Abang Iskandar said, based on the post-mortem report, Suganthy, a 22-year-old cleaner, had suffered 16 external body injuries and a cracked skull.

He said the only mitigating factor he could consider was that Ganesan was a young offender (he was 19 when the offence was committed) and that he had pleaded guilty.

He ordered him to serve the jail term from the date of his arrest on Aug 31, 2005.

In mitigation, counsel K. Viknesvaran pleaded for leniency as his client had repented.

He pointed out that Ganesan was from a poor family and had pleaded guilty to the offence.

Deputy public prosecutor Hana Hadinah S. Mohd Ghazali pressed for a heavy sentence to reflect the gravity of the offence.


Ida Athanazir said...

usually that much stab wounds meant anger

not much justice, like always... typical

thrasher115 said...

crazy world huhu